Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lions and Tigers and BEARS

I've always wanted to see a bear in real life...not like in the zoo or anything... but roaming the streets of Sammamish where we live. It is quite common around here to have bear sightings. Last year several of our neighbors saw bears at various spots around... by the kid's school, crossing the street by the grocery store, out the back window in the green belt behind our house, or rumaging through the garbage can in Emmy's friend's backyard.
So last week I was out on a walk all by myself around 7:30 pm... and low and behold I saw this very bear.
I was more amazed at first not to mention how thrilled I was with myself that I had actually seen a bear. I called Jeff on my cell phone and told him. He then began to freak me out telling me that he was on his way to come and pick me up... the bear was going to eat me... what was I thinking?...don't move because I will be right there.

After hanging up with Jeff telling him that the bear was far enough into the meadow that I was ok... I began to freak myself out thinking that the bear was going to jump out of the bushes at me or was chasing me from behind. So, needless to say I safely ran the rest of the way home. I am proud to say that I saw a bear. I am not pleased with the fact that I don't feel safe alone at night going on walks anymore. I am also not pleased that I don't feel safe having my children outside by themselves. This bear is living right here in our neighborhood. This picture of MY bear was taken by the local news people who did a report on bears warning the citizens about bears coming out of hibernation and looking for food. Hmmm, interesting.

1 comment:

Marianne and James said...

REMEMBER that BEARS are BAD...they are DANGEROUS & they eat PEOPLE. These are things that you learn in grade school.