Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fanny Pharmasist

I'm not one to carry on about my aches and pains and physical troubles. It really doesn't do any good to complain about everything because there will always be something bothering me, AND there will always be someone who is way worse off physically than me. Also, being a mom life just goes on... kids still whine and need you regardless of how awful you feel. Prayer and a smile just get me through the day most days. But, indulge me for a moment because I am in need of someone to feel sorry for me. As I laid out all my medication on the counter I had to have a big laugh over my personal pharmacy. I'm one who even has a hard time taking a Tylenol for a headache. I'd rather try heal myself the natural way first...water, healthy food, herbs and sleep. (that's another blog.)

Have you ever seen "What's Up Doc?" with Barbara Streisand? This is a favorite quoted part of the movie towards the end. The judge and the bailiff are in the courtroom ready to start the hearing but having this quite conversation between themselves before it begins. The judge has just laid out all of his pills he needs to take...


Judge Maxwell: You see this yellow pill?
Bailiff: Yes sir.
Judge Maxwell: You know what it's for?
Bailiff: What, Judge?
Judge Maxwell: To remind me to take this BLUE pill!
Bailiff: What's the blue one for, Judge?
Judge Maxwell: I don't know. They're afraid to tell me.

Well, I feel like that is me lately. Within the past couple of weeks I am taking
Iron
Thyroid medication
Vitamin D (that's what I get for moving to Seattle...low levels of Vitamin D.)
Antibiotics (for severe sinus infection)
Prednisone (for a polyp found in my sinus cavity)
Anti-yeast stuff (to counter act the antibiotics since I am prone to yeast infections.)
Meloxican (for my new life-long friend, Ankylosing Spondilitis... google that one wontcha)

As of today, my regiment has become quite extensive and I need a personal Home Health Aid to administer the drugs... 2 can't be taken with food but can't be taken with each either; another is taken 2 for 3 days then 1 for 2 days then 1/2 for 2 days. Another is taken 1 on day 1, skip 3 days then take another one, skip 3 days then take another one continuing on for 14 days. I won't bore you with the other stuff. The 2 Dr.'s I've gone to said that for sure I'll be feeling a night and day difference in my energy levels just for curing 1 of the above problems. Imagine the NEW ME my family will enjoy when all my troubles are cured!!! (at least the iron and thyroid levels and the sinus infection. My other troubles can't be cured with medication. Ha!)

As I am writing this blog I am wondering why we as women feel like we have to appear like we've got it all together. Today at the grocery store the cashier asked me, "How are you doing?" Of course I gave the usual response... "fine thanks. How are you?" If I was really being an honest indjun I would have said, "You know what? Today I feel like crap!"

I am thankful for the opportunity to have personal pharmacies in our kitchens... in many countries the mom's just go on with their lives feeling like "crap." At least we have Dr.'s, insurances and medicines to help us get better. I am thankful for that.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I have a hard time remembering to take just one prenatal vitamin (because I'm nursing - don't be alarmed)! If the vitamin made me feel better, maybe it would be easier to remember. But that's a lot of pills you have to take!

I also wish we could say it how it is. I kind of do on my blog, but then feel guilty about it later. But, if you can believe it, I do restrain a lot of my thoughts on my blog. I think that's why I crave therapy - to have SOMEONE that you can just spill every thought in your head to. Does your Dad let you do that?????

I'm so excited about his book! I definitely want to get it soon. Your family is so amazing! I'm lucky to know you guys.

Koni said...

Marcia, I am so sorry that you've been so sick. I've been taking some of that same stuff (I get 3-4 sinus infections a winter) too. Not fun. Wish I could come be and we could moan together. I miss you!

maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hi,

Healthline just designed a virtual guide of the effects of ankylosing spondylitis on the body. You can see the infographic here: http://www.healthline.com/health/ankylosing-spondylitis/effects-on-body

This is valuable med-reviewed information that can help a person understand how AS will affect their body. I thought this would be of interest to your audience, and I’m writing to see if you would include this as a resource on your page: http://marciaslichta.blogspot.com/2009/03/fanny-pharmasist.html

If you do not believe this would be a good fit for a resource on your site, even sharing this on your social communities would be a great alternative to help get the word out.

Thanks so much for taking the time to review. Please let me know your thoughts and if I can answer any questions for you.

All the best,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com